Creating an Assessment
OnTrack Tips for Quick Test Creation & Release:
If instructors would like their own data set to compare aside from collaborative tests (to get more frequent checks for understanding for quicker intervention) an answer key only test in OnTrack can be a quick way to create a quiz. An instructor can create a quiz in Word and then create an answer key only test in OnTrack following the instructions below. There are also advance options if they would like to do short answer responses or to print and provide students with feedback cards for test corrections.
To Quickly Create an AKO Test: (This usually takes around 5-8 min.)
At any time if you get kicked out go back to Ontrack, click launchpad at the top center, click assessments, type part of your title, and then click the gear “setup” to get back into editing the test
1. Make sure to create your quiz in MS Word and Save the test as a PDF
2. Go to OnTrack and click Create Assessment
3. Select Answer Key Only
4.Skip the first blank and by WS Group click the pull down and select campus work space (if you need to be able to share your results with admin or get help from others) or my work space (admin will not be able to access your data or assist so this is not useful if you are trying to show how you are tracking data later/ can be complicated to try to share data later)
5.For assessment type click campus check for understanding or campus formative assessment
6.For grade check multiple grades (in case you have 9th graders in a 10th grade course or 11th graders in a 10th grade course, we want it to be open to as many grade levels that might be represented in your room/ to prevent any possible technical issues so all students can see the test in your room)
7.Select which subject
8.For version select English or AP or IB (whichever is the best descriptor)
9.In qualifier put your last name and the unit (possibly topic too) without spaces so you can search for this quiz easily or easily compare quizzes for example (SmithUnit1Cells).
10.Click generate test name & the name is created in the very top blank
11. Select grades that can take the test and then click next
12.On the left select your subject where your TEKS are & then put a check mark in every TEK you will quiz on
13. Hit Next
14. Type in how many questions / items will be on the test then click update
15. Select the correct answers and then pull down the standards next to each answer choice and tag the standards for each question. If you want a box for students to type in an answer click the MC and change it to CR. Click 3 or 4 as being the right answer (you will manually score later if a student response scored 1-4 - see below for scoring constructed responses manually).
16. Click Next
17. For the performance templates click the blue button that says load from available templates and apply whatever template you want, then click next
18.On this last page enter a good range of dates that would allow for makeup testing
19. Under the button “online preview" click the folder button & upload your test PDF
20. Click enable lock down browser if your student’s laptops have the lockdown browser software installed (this will prevent them from doing anything else on the internet while they are testing)
21. Click publish then “no thanks I’m done” or select more advanced settings if you wish.
Releasing a Test
Releasing the Test (This takes about 5-8 min. but can be done at the start of each period while students are doing a warmup):
We created your test above without requiring the students to have a PIN which is easier. If you would like them to use a 4-Digit PIN that option can be selected in advanced settings before you publish.
For instructions on releasing the test with a four digit PIN refer to this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YjVZw4O4KZfXhfxkBV12tnPvgymsHH6j . If you do not have a PIN the process is the same to activate just ignore the PIN parts. You can also view a video or try a simulation for releasing the test at this link (you may have to login then click the link again to load video and simulation)
Short Answer Manual Grading
Short Answer/Constructed Response Questions (After testing):
In the answer key section where you put the answers in, click the MC and change it to CR (constructed response) indicating that this will be a short answer question and the students will get a box to type their answer in. Refer to answer keys here click sheet from DDI or step 15 above.
Student - Centered Test Reflection
Providing Students Feedback for Test Corrections:
Video on feedback cards
Standards Progression Report
Standards Progression Reports (similar to Lead4ward heatmaps if you have new SEs)
Go to reports, standards progression and click create new:
1. Title report
2. Select subject
3. Pick select standards by assessment
4. Hit Next
5.Change assessment level to “school”
6. Select your school (I would stop here though because when I tried to pull down further filters it would just freeze up. IT is working on this)
7. Select all the tests you want to compare
8. Click Next
9. On standards page select all standards or select the standards you want to compare, then hit next
10. In display column select Teacher, grade, period and then in demographics you can select SPED, LEP, etc.)
11. Then hit save and run report
12. You’ll be brought to a blank screen but then you can select the school from the dropdown & the standards progression report should populate (you should see your report title at the top of the page)
13. From the population you will see a comparison of scores across if you retested SEs
Pivot Tables Report
1. Go to Reports
2. Click on Pivot Table (let's look at page 2 #69 or #70 and see the Ren360 reports already created)
3. Click on create new pivot table
4.Filter by year, school, and your name.
5. Select two exams where you tested the same TEKS
6. Look at pivot table summary tab
7. Click on percentages to drill down into how students improved or digressed for intervention
When you create these reports they are labeled as private, you need to go back to the reports and change the settings to share or delete when you are done downloading the report.